AKTI is the credible source of information for knife businesses and knife owners.
Resources for the Knife Industry
State Knife Laws
Don’t Believe the Myths About Automatic Knives
State Laws Regarding Auto-Open Knives
About Statewide Knife Preemption
Federal Switchblade Law
Finding Knife Laws
Know Your Knife Laws – Articles delving into knife law details by attorney and knife expert Dan Lawson. These articles are also regularly published in Knife Magazine.
What Knife Owners Need to Know
We want you to be able to own, carry and use your knives with confidence. Here are things that every knife owner should know.
AKTI is developing a growing list of defense attorneys who will consult with a defendant’s attorney on knife cases. Any fee involved after the referral is the responsibility of the defense attorney. Contact AKTI. If you are a defense attorney who would like to participate, please contact us. Please indicate the states where you are licensed to practice.
When a case goes to trial, your defense attorney may need an expert witness for a pre-trial hearing or for the trial itself. AKTI maintains a list of knife experts who may be qualified to testify. AKTI is also soliciting additional knife industry figures who may be available locally or regionally to appear on behalf of clients. Fees for the expert witness are the responsibility of the defense attorney. If you either need an expert witness or would like to become one, contact AKTI.
AKTI thanks the industry knife publications for their support by supplying complimentary advertisements and printing AKTI news.
- Knife Collectors’ Clubs – can be reached by contacting specific manufacturers or doing an internet search
- Knifemakers’ Guild – a professional association representing knifemakers throughout the world
- American Bladesmith Society – an organization dedicated to the teaching and promotion of the forged blade
- Elephant Protection Association – working to stop ivory bans that persecute law-abiding citizens and refocus efforts on strategies that will actually save elephants.
- Knife Glossary – provided on the A.G. Russell Knives website
- Stainless Steel Guide Chart – properties of stainless and non-stainless steel provided by A. G. Russell Knives
- Guide to the Best Knife Steel – description of different steel properties and types of knife steel on Knife Informer review website
- Ultimate Knife Steel Guide – comprehensive guide provided by Blade HQ
- Pocket Knife Lock Types – a guide to the various locking mechanisms by different manufacturers and their pros and cons
- Knife Forging – how forged knives are made
- Knife Blade Steels and How to Choose – a guide to different steels and how to choose the one you need
- Contending With Counterfeits – AKTI and the knife industry take on the problem of inferior products made and sold illegally.
- Be Safe. Not Sorry– Know why you should not buy a counterfeit knife.
When there is an important issue for the knife community, AKTI will alert you by email if you are a member or Grassroots Supporter. If you want to discuss various knives, ownership, and issues with other interested knife owners, check out these popular Forums.
AKTI focuses on changing knife laws that unfairly target law-abiding knife owners for knife possession. If you are aware of a knife law situation that is unfair to knife users, contact us about possible legislative action.
Looking for a Knife?
If you are searching for information on products, there are several knife magazines serving the industry that publishes information and advertising. Check out these online sources that review products and support AKTI’s efforts:
Industry manufacturers and suppliers maintain websites where they describe their products. If you are searching for the value of a knife, information on knifemaking, or historical information, there are numerous books available at local libraries or from publishers, plus collectors’ associations and other organizations that specialize in this information.
Have a Knife Innovation Idea?
If you are looking for someone to review a knife design idea or work with you to manufacture a knife, you can contact the following companies:
American Outdoor Brands – Contact Information
Benchmade Knife Company – Contact Information
Boker USA – Contact Information
Fox Knives – Contact Information
Outdoor Edge – Contact Information
W.R. Case – Contact Information
We Knife – Contact Information