Knife Education and Safety
AKTI has helped educate the law enforcement community and the general public that knives of all shapes, sizes and mechanisms are intended as tools for a variety of essential tasks. Knives created and used by our members perform vital job, recreational and even life-saving functions.
Please see our Resources section for AKTI Approved Definitions and Knife Measuring Protocol.
We strongly emphasize the importance of using knives safely.
Knife Safety Key Points
- Stop – make sure no one else is within arm’s reach
- Away – always cut away from your finger or other body parts
- Sharp – a sharp, clean knife is a safe knife
- Store – knives closed, in a sheath or knife block
Kids and Knives
- Kids and Knives- Introducing young people to knives involves parental guidance and familiarity with the important aspects of ownership.
- My First Knife | (PDF Version) – Tips on Safety, Use, Maintenance, Sharpening, Conservation, and Outdoor Ethics. A joint educational project of the AKTI and the Mule Deer Foundation.
Please contact us to request copies to share and be sure to including your mailing address.
- Knife Safety, Sharpening, and Maintenance | (PDF version)
- Your New Knife – Choosing the Right Tool – PDF only
- Knives Save Lives! – stories about how knives were used in life-or-death situations.
- Giving Presentations to various groups – general suggestions
Please also see our Resources section for more information on owning, traveling with and using knives safely.
AKTI wants to provide information and materials to help you share knife education. Please contact us with any materials or references you think would be useful.